Increase Productivity With Job Benchmarking

by Adam Wong, Director of Network Development, Target Training International (TTI)

One of the most rudimentary elements of any company’s profit plan analysis is simply a question of productivity. Is your company yielding as much as it can given its resources? While technology comes to mind for most who are looking for ways to improve productivity – there’s always a new program, new app, new device promising to increase productivity and, therefore, profits – the biggest factor affecting a company’s productivity is entrenched in its people.

In a case study published by TTI, an engineering firm was struggling with low productivity, and despite a corporate philosophy of hiring only the best employees, the company still was not as productive as some of their industry peers. With the help of TTI assessments and a certified consultant, the initial evaluation of this company confirmed that in fact only 17 percent of the entire workforce were considered superior performers by company standards. Meanwhile, a large 77 percent were labeled mediocre performers and six percent were found to be low performers. With only 17 percent of staff performing at peak capacity, how was the other 83 percent affecting the entire company’s productivity, and what would it mean for the company if that 83 percent could be moved into the superior performer category?

Using TTI TriMetrix® HD, the consultant was able to assess each employee and manager according to his or her individual job. By benchmarking each job, the skills, motivators, behaviors and acumen necessary to be successful in that given job were revealed. From the gap report that was created by comparing each employee to his or her job benchmark, the consultant was able to implement a tailored coaching manual complete with a unique development plan. These plans identified each employee’s specific strengths, and managers were able to use it to coach them on how to leverage their strengths in that particular working environment. Managers then had to follow a regimented routine for the coaching session, meeting with each employee for one hour a month to focus on specific skills and strategies.

The result was that when employees were assessed after one year of training, 20 percent had moved from mediocre to superior performance status. Billable hours were up 30 percent, while profit increased by a staggering 25 percent. The productivity of the company was transformed, with all resources, including the workforce, performing at peak capacity.

To learn more about how a job benchmark can increase productivity in your company, contact Susan Bellows at 413-566-3934 for a free consultation.

Read the White Paper

This entry was posted in Blog and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.